In hiring any position, the City of Erie does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, ancestry, union membership, age, sex, sexual orientation, or national origin in employment or the provision of services.
To become a City of Erie firefighter, regardless of past fire, emergency medical, or military experience, applicants must meet the following criteria, set by the City of Erie Civil Service Board.
- Must be at least 18 years old on or before the date of hire
- Must not be more than 65 years old
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED equivalency
- Must pass the Fire Police Select Incorporated (FPSI) written test by date of hire
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Within one year of being hired, must reside within a fifteen-mile radius of the City of Erie Municipal Building at:
City of Erie Municipal Building
626 State St.
Erie, PA 16501
- Must pass a physical examination
- Must pass the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) before date of hire
- Must pass credit check
- Must pass background check
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
Military Veteran Points
To qualify for 10 military veteran preference points on the written test, applicants who are military veterans must have served:
- At least 2 years active service; or
- At least 6 years reserves; or
- On any deployment, regardless of duration